SINGAPORE: EPIGRAM BOOKS, 2016
UNITED KINGDOM: EPIGRAM BOOKS UK, 2017
An independent publisher based in Singapore, Epigram Books is known for putting together well-designed and thought-provoking titles. It began as a division of the multiple award-winning communications design firm Epigram but registered as a separate entity in July 2011 to champion Singaporean literature.
Kevin is a young man without a soul, holidaying in Tokyo; Mr Five, the enigmatic kappa, is the man he so happens to meet. Little does Kevin know that kappas—the river demons of Japanese folklore—desire nothing more than the souls of other humans.
Set between Singapore and Japan, Kappa Quartet is split into eight discrete sections, tracing the rippling effects of this chance encounter across a host of other characters, connected and bound to one another in ways both strange and serendipitous. Together they ask one another: what does it mean to be in possession of something nobody has seen before?
- "Book Review: Kappa Quartet by Daryl Qilin Yam," Pallavi Naryan, Kitaab (Dec 20 2016)
- "Singapore Shelf," Nur Asyiqin Mohamad Salleh, The Sunday Times (Life C15, Nov 6 2016)
- "Sympathy for the Soul," Wong Wen Pu, Quarterly Literary Review Singapore (Vol. 15, No. 4 Oct 2016)
- "Literary Conversations: Daryl Qilin Yam, author of Kappa Quartet," BooksActually, booksactuallyshop.com (2 Aug 2017)
- "The Required Reading Interviews: Daryl Yam," Josh King, Newfound Journal, (16 Jul 2017)
- "Interview with Daryl Qilin Yam by B.B.P. Hosmillo," B.B.P. Hosmillo, Queer Southeast Asia: A Literary Journal of Transgressive Art (11 Nov 2016)
- "The Young & Restless," Farhan Shah, AUGUSTMAN (Issue 123, Nov 2016)
- "New Singapore novels, plays and poetry collections you should read now," SG Now (17 Feb 2017)
- "The ST Guide to... Singapore writing," Olivia Ho, The Straits Times (10 Feb 2017)
- "Daryl, Author of Kappa Quartet, On Being A Novelist in Singapore," MillenialsOfSG (30 Jan 2017)
- "Local books going global," Olivia Ho, The Straits Times (17 Jan 2017)
- "28 Fantastic Reads by BooksActually in 2016," BooksActually, booksactuallyshop.com (27 Dec 2016)
- "Novel approaches: Best of 2016 – Favourite Singapore Books," Helmi Yusof, The Business Times (23 Dec 2016)
- "Kappa Quartet by Daryl Qilin Yam," Rachel Tan, Rachel's Now Reading (7 Nov 2016)
- "Goodnight Kiss with Joshua Simon," Joshua Simon, Kiss92 FM (13 Oct 2016)
- "Country Spotlight: Singapore: Literary Publishing," Teri Tan, Publisher's Weekly (7 Oct 2016)
- "More titles from the longlist," Lee Jian Xuan, The Straits Times (5 July 2016)
- "Epigram Books publishes three new writers from Fiction Prize longlist," Lee Jian Xuan, The Straits Times (19 June 2016)
- "Singapore's new literary discovery launches debut novel," Alex Buxton, Warwick University (9 June 2016)